Problem solved - Many Thanks to all who responded.

Mark, David - My initial dismay at how file protection is handled in RACF
turned out to be unfounded (of course!).
I was primarily thinking about the number of user or group profiles I'd
have to define in order to adequately protect my system.
It turned out to be mercifully few... on my sandbox system, at least.

I'm going to SETROPTS PROTECTALL(WARNING) on the production system later
today
Doubtless there will be many screams regarding '...all these new
messages!', but the bulk of them get solved fairly quickly

Regards
Sean