You mean, did I actually specify a volser on the "Data Set List Utility"
panel?
In all cases up to now, the answer is 'No'.
But your query prompted a couple of experiments, all to no avail I'm afraid.
If I do specify the volser as well as the dsn, the only difference is that
the 'delete confirmation' panel that opens up has an extra option in it.
Instead of just "Set data set delete confirmation off", I also get
"Uncatalog data set upon deletion" - which is already selected with a '/'.
If I allow the deletion to go ahead with that selection, the only
difference is that I don't get to see a RACF violation on the MCAT. The
file still gets removed from the volume, leaving the orphaned MCAT entry
behind, just as before - but now I don't know about the uncatalog failure.
Regards
Sean