On 1/13/2020 8:48 AM, Barbara Nitz wrote:

GIM58901E ** APPLY PROCESSING FAILED FOR SYSMOD HCKR240. SYSMOD HCKR240 WOULD
              HAVE CAUSED A CHANGE TO THE MVST ZONE THAT CAN NOT BE PROCESSED
              COMPLETELY BY PRIOR LEVELS OF SMP/E. USE THE UPGRADE COMMAND TO
              ALLOW SMP/E TO MAKE SUCH CHANGES.

I read about the upgrade command and still don't know if I can safely use it.
My SMPE is at 36.105, presumably to get upgraded by the latest refresh which is
installed but not yet activated (I wanted to do that together with z/Secure).

So if I run the UPGRADE command on my target (and probably later on my DLIB
zone), can I then still use my current level of SMPE on those zones? There
won't be any level  lower than 36.105.
HCKR240 must exploit some SMP/E enhancement that is not supported by older service levels of SMP/E... (probably something in the JCLIN like a new-ish link edit parameter). The level of SMP/E used to create the subject target/dlib zone, or that was used for the last UPGRADE command, does not recognize or support this function/enhancement. To prevent making an incompatible change to the zone, you need to tell SMP/E its OK to do so. Hence the UPGRADE command.

If you plan to continue to use SMP/E 36.105 or higher when processing the subject target and dlib zone, then it is perfectly safe to use the UPGRADE command.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development
Chuck Norris never uses CHECK when he applies PTFs.