I believe you. The input for my program tends to be relatively smaller
assemblies.

> Correct me if I am wrong but total number of records are at the end of the
> file record type Two

Could be. That is how I read the following:

Record Count FL4 On an ADATA Compilation Unit End record, a count of
all the ADATA records for this compilation unit.

> I think the read backward is for tapes only

RDBACK
Input data set, positioned to read backward.
Restriction: Variable-length records cannot be read backward. The
RDBACK option is not allowed for DASD data sets.

Well, it's not for disk. And hard to picture for a card reader.

Charles