Tony, I'm pretty sure I understand RPO and RTO correctly. I'm used to teach it. However please, take care - we talk about backup copy only, not about the system. We don't know whole system setup and components. We know that tape waiting for PTAM (truck delivery to secondary DC) cause some additional period between backup is finished and backup is available in secondary data center. Of course any backup on tape is being done periodically, so one could loose some data between backups. That's true despite of backup replication/delivery method  - however delivery process or asynchronous replication process adds extra time to this window. Last but not least: sometimes it is possible to recover from last existing backup only, previous copy is marked as unusable or it's hard to use it. In such scenario your systeme (DASD replicated) could be aware of last backup, but your last backup is not delivered and will never be delivered because of fire on server room.

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland