To complement and clarify: when using physical tapes (* see below) your RPO and RTO may be 36 hours or zero. The advantage of TS7700 is replication feature. However for physical drives in ATL you have to have two libraries in two locations. However you can write to both libraries simultaneously. It requires HSM, DSS or FDR, however for backup purposes it is no problem. More: for some TS7700 (or Oracle VSM) modes of replication your backup on tape maybe replicated asynchronously, with delays of minutes, tens of minutes, etc. For real tape duplexing both copies are closed at the same time of job fails.

(*) Physical tape - tape visible to z/OS as a device (via controller as always).
Virtual tape - emulated tape drive is visible to z/OS as a device.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland