From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Randy Hudson <i...@panix.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:53 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Backward compat--how far?

In article <52550040-57eb-4a48-9627-e5c6444fe...@googlegroups.com>,
 <foll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a copy of "IBM Operating System/360 Assembler Language" copyright
> December 1964.  Pretty sure all the opcodes listed in Appendix B (Machine
> Instruction Mnemonic Codes) are still supported by the hardware (I haven't
> checked 'em all).

There are some 360/20-only codes that might not work.  I recall a BAS and
BASR, op codes 0D and 4D, that were the predecessors of the BAL and
BALR instruction.  Since the registers on the 360/20 were only 16 bits,
they only saved the low-order 16 bits of the PSW for a return address
(BAL/BALR store 32 bits, the bottom 24 of which are the return address).