On 3/3/20 11:31 AM, John McKown wrote:
There is a way. But it can be a bit "complicated".

Fair enough.

My experience is to start with a manual process that does achieve the goal, even if it's annoying and completely manual. Once that proves itself, then you start streamlining & automating if there is enough demand.

I don't know the programming interfaces to get the information. But you can get the IP address given an LU name.

Am I correct in assuming that there is a way to get the user name that's logged into an LU?

The operator command looks like:

*D NET,,ID=E08VETHH*
IST097I DISPLAY ACCEPTED
IST075I NAME = UICINET1.E08VETHH, TYPE = DYNAMIC APPL 584
IST486I STATUS= ACT/S, DESIRED STATE= ACTIV
IST1447I REGISTRATION TYPE = CDSERVR
IST1629I MODSRCH = NEVER
IST977I MDLTAB=***NA*** ASLTAB=***NA***
IST861I MODETAB=MODETABP USSTAB=***NA*** LOGTAB=***NA***
IST934I DLOGMOD=***NA*** USS LANGTAB=***NA***
IST1632I VPACING =  1
IST1938I APPC = NO
IST597I CAPABILITY-PLU ENABLED  ,SLU ENABLED  ,SESSION LIMIT 00000001
IST231I APPL MAJOR NODE = E08ACCES
IST1425I DEFINED USING MODEL E08VET??
IST212I ACBNAME = ECCVETHH
IST654I I/O TRACE = OFF, BUFFER TRACE = OFF
IST1500I STATE TRACE = OFF
IST271I JOBNAME = TN3270, STEPNAME = TN3270, DSPNAME = IST6B7ED
IST228I ENCRYPTION = OPTIONAL , TYPE = DES
IST1563I CKEYNAME = E08VETHH CKEY = PRIMARY CERTIFY = NO
IST1552I MAC = NONE MACTYPE = NONE
IST1050I MAXIMUM COMPRESSION LEVEL - INPUT = 0, OUTPUT = 0
IST1633I ASRCVLM = 1000000
IST1634I DATA SPACE USAGE: CURRENT = 0 MAXIMUM = 136
IST1634I DATA SPACE USAGE: CURRENT = 0 MAXIMUM = 136
*IST1669I IPADDR..PORT 10.43.130.61..53971*
IST171I ACTIVE SESSIONS = 0000000001, SESSION REQUESTS = 0000000000
IST314I END

So you can associate a TN3270 LU with an IP address.

You can then do the TSO NETSTAT command to try a "reverse DNS lookup" by:

NETSTAT 10.43.130.61

However, on our system, there is not a "reverse DNS" lookup on workstation names, it appears.

ACK

I'm thinking about a way that doesn't involve DNS.

If it's possible to enumerate all the LUs to identify the LUs from the interesting IP addresses, and it's possible to get usernames for said interesting LUs, then you have the users that are using the interesting IPs. Thus you know who to contact, completely independent of DNS.

I am assuming that usernames (almost) directly map to the users and thus provide a list of who needs to have their workstations updated / migrated / reconfigured to not use unencrypted TN3270.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die