On Mar 3, 2020, at 12:21 PM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I don't recall anything in my 3270 emulator (Tom Brennan's Vista) where I say
> "here is my name to give to the host." There is a space for an "LU name" but
> it's blank and I have no idea what it is for. My Windows has a hostname but
> there is no reason to think it is unique in any given host's clients.

The LUNAME is a part of the tn3270E protocol, but I would hesitate to use it as
a client identifier; it’s more about what on the server the client thinks it
wants to access.

You *may* configure the tn3270 server to use LUNAME to determine which USSTAB
to use for the session or even to connect directly to a particular VTAM
application.

The OSA-ICC tn3270 server *requires* clients to provide an LUNAME, and uses it
to select the LPAR and unit number for the session.

Those are the two tn3270 servers I’m familiar with. Others may do other things
with the tn3270 LUNAME.

There’s no inherent security on LUNAME, though; all tn3270E clients I know of
allow the user to put anything in there. It’s up to the server to decide what
to do with it.

--
Pew, Curtis G
curtis....@austin.utexas.edu