On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:35:01 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:

>In reviewing this discussion, I suddenly realized that the saving by
>using 2 digit years was not just disk and tape space but also on
>forms, printer lines, punched cards, data entry screens and data entry
>key strokes.  I know that in many cases I was scrambling for space on
>print lines.

But that concerns presentation, not storage.  You could as well store
TOD clock values and let the output formatting routine display
4, 2, or even single digit years.

Circa 1997, I visited a cemetery where some (spouses') dates were
pre-engraved such as 1920-19__.

Circa 1951, I watched someone write a check where the date was
preprinted 195_.

-- gil