From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 10:21 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Here we go again;

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 13:50:48 +0200, R.S. wrote:

>It wasn't single byte per record in single table! It was (it *IS*)
>element of some culture - to avoid dummy characters.
>How many? It depends. For well constructed record the room for savings
>is zero or close to zero.
>For PFCSK ever date contains separators (2020-04-22 14:55:12), fields
>are separated by blank etc.

I once wondered in these lists why, while F-type values wisely use
2's complement, P-type values are sign magnitude where 10's
complement would provide 5 times the range in the same storage
and avoid the need for a possible recomplement after subtraction.

The response seems to be that 10's complement representation of
negative values is unintuitive.  That strikes me as PFCSK-think.

Of course, there's the argument about reading dumps.

-- gil