On Wed, 6 May 2020 20:40:20 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>We've had this conversation many times before. Utilities that use
>fopen() support DD:xxx and are not likely to change.
>
>Gil is being pedantic. But maybe IBM should update the doc?

Pedantic, yes, but I'd be loath to use in code distributed to
customers constructs not documented as supported.

I submitted such an RCF years ago saying that many of my peers
misuse DD:xxx in this fashion and suggesting a clarification that
the Appendix should state clearly that it is not supported.  IBM
declined, saying (roughly paraphrased), "We document what we
support; we don't document what we don't support."  Of course;
the latter is an enormous set, impractical to enumerate.

And I admired the gyrations of a co-worker to avoid using FALSE
or TRUE in JCL IF-THEN-ELSE as boolean primaries.  They
happen to work but are not documented.  She was being
fastidious.

>On 2020-05-06 8:31 PM, Kirk Wolf wrote:
>> cat DD:  isn't documented as supported?  :-)
>>
>> what about "cp //DD:xxx /dev/fd1" - is that the shell?

I don't believe shell is closely involved.  I'd expect similar
behavior if it were invoked from a program by exec().
"DD:xxx" would be elaborated by the C RTL provided that
cp invokes fopen(), which is not guaranteed, and
/dev/fd/1 is a kernel facility.

-- gil