Nice approach - if you can use it. IPLing is not an option for some shops. My client has lotsa linux v.m.s and way lighter on the CMS side. IPLing is not an option. With the light CMS load, critical as it may be, my testing of SFS, RACF, WAKEUP servers, backups all look OK. But it does take one rotten apple to spoil the bushel no doubt.
David
Mike Walter wrote:

Chuck,

Dig out your "z/VM CP Planning and Administration" manual (or see: http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/hcsg2b10.pdf )
Look up "TIMEZONE_BOUNDARY Statement", see "Usage Notes" item #2.

In short, your easiest and most reliable course of action is to IPL after 03:15 AM in the spring and fall. That should be clear enough to overcome most human error. Relying on "CP SET TIMEZONE" can work if all your ducks are lined up properly. But if one duck is out of line, you're "out of duck". :-) Can you 100% positively guarantee that all your applications can handle a timezone change gracefully? Will they get upset if they see a second 02:00 AM, 02:01 AM, 02:02 AM , etc. in the fall? Will they become hopelessly confused of they miss hour of time between 02:00 and 03:00 AM in the spring? Your call...

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

*"Kreiter, Chuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>*

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

03/27/2006 02:54 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

        IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
        Time Change

Being new to z/VM, I was wondering what most users do for the time change? I noticed several definitions SYSTEM CONFIG that appear to handle that automagically, but wanted to see if there was a procedure that needed to be followed to activate it.

Thanks,

*Chuck Kreiter* *
Lead Systems Programmer* *
State Auto Insurance*

* This message was scanned by the corporate mail server for viruses and objectionable content.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.