From: "Tom Duerbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] again a problem GCS/VTAM but now related to TUBES/VTAM

Just be sure you have the right saved segment.

Stupid story..

Testing on our z/890 with z/VM 5.1 went fine.
Conversion weekend.
SPXTAPE DUMP all (from z/VM 4.2)
SPXTAPE LOAD all (to z/VM 5.1)

Hours later we IPL'ed VM, all hell broke loose.
Turned out I dump/loaded all the saved segments.  At IPL, the oldest ones
(z/VM 4.2) were picked up.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/29/2006 9:04 AM >>>
The level of VM should not have much to do with VTAM as GCS is very stable.
There might be a PTF or two in the last few years.  Are you running VM/VTAM
4.2.0?

I see no reason to change the size or location of the VTAM segment from
600-6FF:

q nss name vtama map
FILE FILENAME FILETYPE MINSIZE  BEGPAG ENDPAG TYPE CL #USERS PARMREGS
VMGROUP
1370 VTAMA    DCSS       N/A    00600  006FF   SR  A  00016   N/A       N/A
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 09:54:08

With your new gcs like:

q nss name gcsc map
FILE FILENAME FILETYPE MINSIZE  BEGPAG ENDPAG TYPE CL #USERS PARMREGS
VMGROUP
1417 GCSC     NSS      0000256K 00000  0000C   EW  R  00000   OMITTED   YES
                                00700  0074E   SR
                                0074F  0074F   SW
                                00750  009FF   SN
                                01000  0101A   SR
                                0101B  04FFF   SN

I am not familiar with VTUBES.  If the vendor says that it will not use
storage above 16M, I do not know what to say.  I would suggest bring the
machine up to at least 80M to ensure all of GCS is inside the machine (as I
stated we run ALL machines in the GCS group at 106M).  It does sound as if
VTUBES is I/O bound under 16M.  Have you added a bunch of new devices to it?

Jim