> The fact that other
> customers with large IBM machines are paying much less for version 5
would
> not
> matter. When and if a company grows its flex box to where it
approaches
> the size
> of a small IBM box, then having VM cheaper on the IBM box will make a
> difference. It will encourage users of large flex boxes to go to an
IBM
> box.

It's also interesting to note that the PID/PWD licenses for the 64-bit
Flex code are required to be run only on genuine IBM-brand hardware.

IMHO, that's a reasonable requirement -- produce a real IBM system, give
them the serial #, get it approved, rock and roll. Imagine using some of
the new quad Opteron64 blades. At 70+ Z MIPS per Opteron, you could put
one heck of a lot of zSeries apps into 7RU.

Imagine zSeries computing that has the same hardware price point as
distributed systems -- not close, but the *same*, without requirements
for special disk or tape hardware, or special console controller
connections. Yes, there's a lot to be said for the real zSeries hardware
in terms of RAS, etc -- but there's a lot of people who don't need that
level of reliability right off the bat. Get them hooked first, and
*then* do the upsell to real Z hardware -- at that point, the business
value case is really, really simple.

Would sure make a convincing case for considering zSeries to most of the
CxOs *I* deal with. Right after SCSI tape support, that is. 8-)

-- db