--- Rich Smrcina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> VMARC format works.  What is minimal at this point?

I guess thats a "moot point". It actually now has
almost all of the ANSI standard routines in place and
the compiler will (almost) re-compile itself on VM. A
couple of routines fail, I think because they run out
of space below the 16Meg line and I am investigating
why...

However to my mind the ANSI "C" library is some what
limited. So no SOCKETS, SHELL, DUP etc...

The implmenetation also has some areas of weakness.

1. Floating point support.
==========================

It still uses "tradional" floting point not IEEE..

Most of math.h is implemented but some of it is of
limited accuracy and (almost) totally lacking in error
checking.

s/f/printf() will output doubles, and strtod() works
(but again no error checking). scanf() has no support
for doubles(). I guess that if it does not use
floating point and is single threaded it has a good
chance been made to work with minimal changes.

I have actually built the BREXX interpreter from

http://bnv.home.cern.ch/bnv/software/

on VM/370r6 and much to my suprise it seems to work
very well. I did need to implement some extra routines
(setjmp/longjmp) for this to work, but of course they
are now there for every one to use....

2. File I/O.
============

The run time uses OS file I/O, which I am not sure I
like. Despite breaking the rules by issuing FILEDEF
commands it seems to work fine. Again as its ANSI
things like fcntl is not provided...

3. External routine names
==========================

I have been generating traditional TEXT decks and
8-chars on external routine names.

Probably other stuff breaks as well. Its not had a
real thrashing. On the plus side:-

1. All the source code is available, even the (few)
bits I wrote so you can always have a good giggle at
my "C" and Assembler :-) (or if feeling generous
improve them)

2. The run time is pure public domain (compiler is of
course GPL) so you can do what you want with any
MODULES you produce...

3. Its totally free.

Dave.