I am experiencing a strange problem with my zVM 5.1 res volumes.

The zVM 5.1 res volume is on a 3390 mod 3 pack.  This volume should be 3339
cylinders.  It is on DASD carved from a DS6800 as 3339 cylinders.

When I attach this volume and access it, I get the following:
LABEL  VDEV M  STAT   CYL TYPE BLKSZ   FILES  BLKS USED-(%) BLKS LEFT  BLK
TOTAL
510RES 001  Z   R/W  3340 3390            OS

I have tried the following:
DDR to a new volume
CPFMTXA FORMAT cylinder 0
CPFMTXA ALLOCATE system areas
  DRCT 1-20
  PARM 21-38
  PARM 39-128
  PARM 129-188
SALIPL for the IPL data

When this new volume (same name) is IPLed it says the directory is
invalid...

Any ideas as to what I should try next to get the res volume to see itself
as a 3339 cylinder volume?

Thank you.

Cecelia Dusha