On Monday, 05/15/2006 at 02:48 AST, Jon Brock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     OK, I have ordered service to  upgrade our z/VM from 5.1 to 5.2.
(At
> least, I think I have.  I got  two 3480 cartridges containing UM97520.)
> don't see a 5.2 version of the  "Guide for Automated Installation and
> Service."  I'm assuming I should use  the one for 5.1.  After all, I'm
actually
> applying the service to a 5.1  system anyway.  Besides, the 5.1 and 5.2
> manuals should be pretty much  identical, right?

It's worth pointing out that there is nothing that upgrades your 5.1
system to a 5.2 system, per se.  Rather, you perform a fresh 5.2 install
on another set of packs and either bring your 5.1 configuration to your
5.2 system (implemented by the 5.2 migration utilitites), or you take the
5.2 components over to your 5.1 system.  The 5.2 version of the Automated
Installation book comes when you order the z/VM 5.2 product (not service).

(And I would rather discuss the subjective nature of reality, religion,
global warming, sex education in public schools, stem cell research, the
influence of math on science and engineering, conservative vs. liberal
politics, and, if pushed to the limit of discretion, even which text
editior is the best, before talking about which of those two migration
philosophies is "best".  But, everyone, PLEASE don't use this post as an
excuse to talk about your fave editor!)