> OK, how does this concept work with Telnet, port 23?  Is my
> client being transferred to other ports?  Are all of my hundreds
> of telnet sessions, all using the same port 23?  Are they using
> it "one at a time"?  When I hit enter, and it takes 5-10 seconds
> to get a response, is my client tieing up the port so no one else
> can use it?  All of that, just doesn't sound right.  Is there a
> concept of "shared ports"?

Although all of your clients use the same port for TN3270, they
each get their own connection number.  That is how the stack keeps
track of them.  Do a  NETSTAT and you will see something like this:

User Id  Conn    Local Socket            Foreign Socket          State

---- --  ----    ----- ------            ------- ------          -----

FTPSERVE 1019    *..FTP-C                *..*                    Listen

SMTP     1003    *..SMTP                 *..*                    Listen

SMTP     UDP     *..1024                 *..*                     UDP

INTCLIEN 1039    *..TELNET               *..*                    Listen

INTCLIEN 1070    *..3344                 *..*                    Listen

INTCLIEN 1078    VM.ILLINOISMUTUAL.COM..TELNET172.16.2.185..1096
Established
INTCLIEN 1121    VM.ILLINOISMUTUAL.COM..TELNET172.16.5.133..1116
Established
INTCLIEN 1147    VM.ILLINOISMUTUAL.COM..TELNET172.16.1.134..4900
Established

Notice the second column is a unique connection number.  I know this
isn't
a complete explanation, but I will leave that to someone more qualified
than me (and it isn't hard to find people like that here !!)

Ed Zell
(309) 674-8255 x-107
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:  This communication, including any attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed
and contains information which may be confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, notify
the sender immediately, delete the communication and destroy all copies. Thank
you for your compliance.