I've run some traces and know why DDR is abending.  If you don't want to

read the technical details below, the question is: Is this an APAR'able

DDR problem or "user error caused by the HALT - don't do that"?

----

The sequence is as follows:

1) DDR is running and the tape drive is attached but not ready (for ease

of debug I'm doing this at DDR startup, rather than at EOV).

2) DDR issues a DIAG A8 (Synchronous I/O) for the tape drive.

3) Message HCPERP2233I TAPE xxxx NOT READY, CP-OPERATOR NOTIFIED is issue

4) I do a HALT to the rdev

5) The DIAG A8 gets a rc=13 (Permanent I/O error)

6) DDR drives it's error recovery routine CKDIAGER, then returns control

to the return address stored in IOBERROR - which sends it to INOUTER.

7) The INOUTER routine determines it's a unit check and goes to UNITCHKE,

which tests the sense information and thinks it's a deferred reissue.

8) So it does a BRANCH IOWAIT, which causes R12 to be loaded with the
address of IOWAIT.   IOWAIT loads a wait state PSW.  The problem is that

the code around IOWAIT uses R12 as a base register whose expected value i
STARTIO.

9) I detach the tape drive.

10) I re-attach the tape drive.  This causes an I/O interrupt that
satisfies the wait state PSW loaded by IOWAIT.

11) A dozen instructions later the code does a BNH to label TRCTSCH using

R12 as it's base register.  Because R12 has the wrong value, this is a

wild branch.  It deteriorates immediately with another wild branch, and

executes a handful of instructions before wild branching again to an
address which results in the operation exception.

Brian Nielsen

On Tue, 23 May 2006 12:16:03 -0500, Brian Nielsen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running z/VM 5.2.  I think it's the HALT that is ultimatly messing u
>DDR.  DDR abends as soon as the button on 3590 tape drive is pushed to

>start the tape loading, so it's probably related to I/O interrupt
>particulars different from what DDR is expecting.
>
>I'll be interested in seeing what you did differently or if this is the

>result of "improved" error recovery in DDR.
>
>I've even experimented with using the tape drive attached in multiuser

>mode, but a HALT (and more) is still required to the tape drive in order

>to update the operator display.  End result is the same - DDR abends.
>
>Brian Nielsen
>

>On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:14:36 -0500, Huegel, Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>wrote:
>
>>Brian,
>>
>>I don't remember having any problem with DDR abending, I ran this on z/
VM
>>4.3 and z/VM 5.1.
>>In my case after I (prop) detached the tape I (prop) attached it to an
>>'automated tape manager' that recorded the tape then unloaded it and

>mounted
>>a new tape and then I (prop) attached the drive back to 'DDR'. I believ
>DDR
>>saw the new tape and continued the dump without any problem.
>>I am still looking for the exec but I was at a different company when I

>>wrote it, I think they still use it, I just need to find someone there

>that
>>will re-share it with me.
>>
>>Tom

DR