To jump in at the tail end of this discussion.....

I will be doing DB2/UDB backups, as well as Oracle 10g backups, under
zLinux under z/VM on an IFL.

Getting messages and routing them to PROP isn't much of a problem.
I'ved had a DDR based backup that used DYNAM/T for VSE as a tape manager
running for over 10 years.  The biggest problem is EOV processing.  That
ended up being 80% of the code and problems.

I thought I would eliminate most of the problems by having high
capacity tape drives.  However, due to the cost of the media, we are
also looking at stacking via an IBM VTS.  Problem is, that the VTS
emulates a 3490 drive and you have 1.2 GB or 2.4 GB emulated tape
volumes.  When you fill an emulated volume up, you need to drive EOV
processing.

Now I haven't filled a volume yet, but it doesn't look like the Linux
world knows much about EOV processing.  I've been told TSM understands
the concept, but TSM requires FCP attached tape drives (only uses SCSI
interface for tape), and I'm real hesitant on trying to justify separate
but equal hardware (having two tape subsystems), for a server
consolidation project.

So, it would be interesting to here, in this discussion, any thoughts
on handliing EOV conditions.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 6/1/2006 4:02 AM >>>
> All you need to do is have VM:Operator send the .MOUNT
Yes indeed, we already needed similar "remote mounts" as the number of
VM
systems was greater that what could be connected with the coax based
3270
interface to old STK robots.  So we intercept VMTAPE manual mount
requests
and ship those to STKACS on another VM system over an RSCS link.
Works
perfectly well.

> Also, you need to remember to issue [send over to z/OS] the STK
DISMOUNT
> when VM:Operator detects that the end user has DETACHED the tape
drive
Our VMOPER macro even keeps track on who owns a drive, which volser is
mounted, it knows how to handle drives that are GIVEn to other users,
etc.

> Why not eliminate the linux server, which seems to me to be just ...
I asked that too, answer: this linux server forms some standard
interface on
which you hook other clients, like LMS/VM

Why does my customer use this LMS/VM SW and the Linux gateway?  It all
was
decided by the z/OS folks without really consulting us, the VM group.
As
external advisor, I didn't want to open the discussion again.

LMS/VM has some other advantages though, mainly the fact that it allows
VM
users to issue more STK commands than just Mount/Dismount.  Something
you
probably would not try to create using an RSCS link to the z/OS
console.