From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Jeff Gribbin, EDS
Sent:   Tuesday, June 27, 2006 12:46 AM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: Volume with minidisks has no allocation information

Further to the comments regarding sharing of DASD between CMS users and =

OS - this was routine behaviour at a former employer of mine (back when =

DASD was always in short supply). We would format the DASD on the OS side=
,
allocate a dataset covering the back end - and then zap the VTOC to flag =

the dataset as password-protected, but never put a password into the
password dataset (RAC-who? <grin>). This effectively rendered the, "CMS" =

cylinders unreadable from OS. On VM we would allocate a dummy minidisk =

that mapped the OS part of the disk (to keep DISKMAP and the such happy) =

and then simply allocate CMS minidisks on the, "CMS portion" in the usual=

manner. Never a problem in many years of operation. As Tom said, "As long=

as everyone agrees to what's being done ...". In this particular setup, V=
and OS ran on separate machines with a fully-shared DASD farm.

Reading CMS minidisks from OS is not, "difficult". Again, at a different =

former employer, this was routine behaviour - we had a utility that serve=
as a kind-of poor man's RSCS by reading JCL stored on a specified CMS
minidisk and submitting it into the internal reader. The writing of code =

of this kind was considered a training exercise for junior sysprogs - onc=
they'd successfully done something like this you could confidently expect=

them to understand a whole raft of basic functionality from BDAM through =

DYNALLOC and the internals of the CMS File System and the CP Object
Directory. It also helped to break down the barriers between the VM Bigot=
and the OS Bigots (not that, other than in the sense of gentle rivalry, =

I've ever found this to exist among real systems programmers - who seem =

eager to take apart anything and everything to find out how it works - or=

was that, "worked" <oops>).

Regards
Jeff Gribbin