Shouldn't that be "Re One of Richard's questions:"? :o)

Regards,
Richard Schuh

 -----Original Message-----
From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Rob van der Heij
Sent:   Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:08 PM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: Last update date/time of a minidisk

On 6/28/06, Kris Buelens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  /* We use a rather long CMS Pipe to gather mdisk info               */

Exactly what I was thinking   :-)   100 lines for REXX for 2 stages   ROTFLA

Re Richards questions:
It's CMS who updates the time stamp when it writes the directory to
the disk, and it does so when you release the disk (to write the
sorted directory to disk). DMSPLU and friends tamper with the
timestamp of a single file (and cause the directory to be written as
well). I don't think you could use them to modify these two special
files at the start of the directory (we are actually looking at the
timestamp of the special file that maps the directory blocks).
But if you have the disk linked R/W and not accessed, you can do
whatever you like reading and writing blocks to fool us. I suppose
that CMS uses the timestamp to invalidate the FST in DCSS (but I did
not check the code).

Rob