Phil--There is something wrong in what you're saying. A 3390-3, if that is how it is really defined to ESS, is "only" 3339 cyl's. A mod-9 3390 is 3 times the size of a 3390-3, 3x3339 cyls, 10017. If what you are trying to format is really defined as a 3390-3, then 3339 cyls is right.

The 3990 you mentioned in the last line is the control unit for a 3390.
Jim