Steve,

As long as you understand that you are playing with fire...  If that lower address fails to respond within whatever time-out CP uses, or it's broken, then you could end up using the higher address without knowing it.  You might want to ask yourself what the damage would be if you did end up using the higher address, and if having duplicate volsers is worth the recovery or data loss.

If you're just doing this for tests or conversion it's a lot different than expecting to always use duplicate volsers in a regular production environment.

At the very least you may want to write an EXEC to run at each IPL, checking to ensure that none of the higher addresses are being used - reporting any use of the higher address and taking appropriate action.  Perhaps finding higher-addressed volumes online you could varying them offline, or issue an automated  CP SHUTDOWN REIPL (possible IPL loop here) to see if the next IPL would get the lower volumes as expected.  Almost everything we do is a business-based judgement call.

Mike Walter

Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Steve Gentry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

06/29/2006 05:38 PM

Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: duplicate dasd volume serial numbers

And to re-enforce what has already been said.  We IPL'd a few minutes ago the volume

with the lower address was used and the one with the higher address was not

attached to anything.

Thanks all . . . .

Steve

Rich Greenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

06/29/2006 04:24 PM
Please respond to The IBM z/VM Operating System