From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Dave Jones
Sent:   Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:35 AM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Linux mainframe game machine....

Not Your Dad's Mainframe: Little Iron

> Mainframe computers have long been the province of IT druids in huge
> corporate data centers and goverment agencies like NASA and the CIA.
> Now, though, the mainframe is heading towards a much larger potential
> market.In IBM's latest effort to keep Big Iron relevant in a
> fast-changing computing world, it's retooling the technology for
> small- and medium-size businesses. The new z9 Business Class
> mainframe, released this spring, can be bought for as little as
> $100,000. Think of it as Little Iron. And small outfits who can't
> afford to buy a mainframe can pay by the drink by using IBM's
> on-demand services. All the things IBM mainframes can now do will
> surprise you. Example: As the server for Taikodom, a massively
> multiplayer online game being developed by Brazilian upstart Hoplon
> Infotainment. It's a company with just 50 employees. I don't want
> this to sound like an ad for mainframes (not my role or inclination)
> but this cool application caught my fancy.

http://blogs.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2006/07/not_your_dads_m.html#more

While z/VM isn't explicitly mentioned in the blog entry, I do suspect
that the Linux images the gamers are using are VM hosted. Who was it
that first ran StarTrek on VM? I guess they were really ahead of their
time.  :-)

DJ