I should also mention that if you are on z/VM 5.1.0 or later you should consider using ETC HOSTS rather than HOSTS LOCAL (it's documented in the same chapter).  The hostname limit in ETC HOSTS is 128 characters.

Regards,
Miguel Delapaz
z/VM TCP/IP Development

----- Forwarded by Miguel Delapaz/Endicott/IBM on 07/13/2006 09:03 AM -----