On Tuesday, 07/18/2006 at 01:11 MST, william JANULIN
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To list;
> I am working on some mods to the iSTINCLM logmode
> table that comes with VM/VTAM. According to the
> instructions, I should copy the assemble file to the
> 2C4 'E' disk, make the changes there, assemble it,
> then implement.
>
> It looks like that when I issue the VMFASM ( I could
> not use VMFHASM or VMFHLASM because it could not find
> the modules) it looks like it is picking up the
> original ISTINCLM without my changes. Before I start,
> I issues the VMFSETUP 5654010a VTAM command to get all
> the minidisks.
>
> What am I missing?

I'm sure a lot of people have their fave ways of doing this.  I'm no
exception.  :-)

First, you should have something like VTAMUSER LKEDCTRL that contains:
%LEPARMS REUS
%MAXRC 0
 INCLUDE ISTINCLM
 NAME ISTINCLM(R)

This will allow you to build your own VTAMUSER LOADLIB that contains your
own copy of ISTINCLM.  This is the same place you'd put your own USS
tables.  Just add an INCLUDE and NAME statement for each text deck you
want in there.

Second, define your CNTRL file that you use, e.g. VTAM CNTRL:
TEXT MACS VTAMAC VTAMBLD GCTGPI DMSGPI HCPGPI OSVSAM

Next, VMFASM ISTINCLM VTAM.  This should create ISTINCLM TEXT on your
A-disk.

Then VMFLKED VTAMUSER.  This should create VTAMUSER LOADLIB on your
A-disk.  Copy this to your VTAM "user" disk (the one that contains your
VTAMLSTs, etc.) e.g. VTAM 298.

Make sure the GLOBAL LOADLIB in your VTAM startup exec (e.g. VMVTAM GCS)
has VTAMUSER listed as the first loadlib in the list.

Restart VTAM.  After that you can rebuild VTAMUSER LOADLIB at any time and
replace the version on 298.  On the VTAM console, 'access 298 b' (or
whatever - reaccess the disk).  Then you can use MODIFY TABLE to get VTAM
to reload your updated copy of ISTINCLM without having to restart VTAM.

My little VMFVTAM EXEC looks like this:
/* */
arg fn .
ctlfn = "VTAM"
lkedfn = "VTAMUSER"
'ACCESS 29A H'
/* I use HL Assembler */
'VMFHLASM' fn ctlfn '(' parms
if rc = 0 then
  do
    'VMFLKED' lkedfn
    if rc = 0 then
      do  /* I have VTAM 298 accessed as B */
        'COPYFILE' lkedfn 'LOADLIB A = = B (OLDD REPL'
        'CP SEND VTAM ACCESS 298 B'
        'ERASE' lkedfn 'LOADLIB A'
      end
  end