Try tape head cleaner for audio tape decks, that might work okay for what you're doing.

David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

07/19/2006 01:48 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
More Ancient History: source for 3420 cleaning fluid?

Does anyone still know of a source that sells 3420 cleaning fluid and supplies? In the process of working through these old tapes from Princeton, I’m burning through the small supply I have of the stuff rapidly (2 pints so far), and still have a few thousand tapes to go.

The amount of oxide flaking and just general destruction these tapes have is amazing – gunk everywhere. Hats off to the data recovery folks – I’d really hate to have to do this all the time. Freeze drying, careful rereading, multiple retries… sheesh. Phase of the moon for some of these volumes.

Pretty scary that the circa 1970s volumes actually seem to have a higher readability index so far.

David Boyes
Sine Nomine Associates