David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone still know of a source that sells 3420 cleaning fluid and
> supplies? In the process of working through these old tapes from
> Princeton, I'm burning through the small supply I have of the stuff
> rapidly (2 pints so far), and still have a few thousand tapes to go.=20

The popular cleaning fluids are mixtures of isopropanol and
1,1,2 Dichloro 1,2,2, Difluoro ethane, I believe called Freon TF.
I have no idea if that is what yours is, though.

Ordinary rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropanol, but many stores
(grocery stores or drug stores) also have 99% isopropanol.
If you have a near by chemistry lab you can get reagent grade,
which is probably 99.99% or so. (Not counting the water that
will get in as soon as you open the bottle.)

> The amount of oxide flaking and just general destruction these tapes
> have is amazing - gunk everywhere. Hats off to the data recovery folks -
> I'd really hate to have to do this all the time. Freeze drying, careful
> rereading, multiple retries... sheesh. Phase of the moon for some of
> these volumes.=20

Are you warming the heads?  I have heard over the years that
it the favorite way to reduce flaking.  The first time I heard
that one was an article in Popular Science about a video tape
recorder that used 0.25in tape linear recording at 120in/s.
(Many years before Beta, or even U-matic.)  Warming the heads
was necessary to prevent scraping the oxide off even of new
tapes at that speed.

There is also supposed to be a last chance system that
uses a fluid, such as cleaning fluid, on the head while
reading the tape.  As I understand it, it only
works once.  After that, the tape is ruined.  I have never
tried, or even seen this done, though.

-- glen