Title: RE: z/VM paging problem

Have you also checked your spool areas? One can overflow into another if your page areas are full, and if all you use the VM system for is to support guests, you may have reached the point where you need more space than you have. I’ve also seen this error when a paging area was incompletely formatted (off by 1 error on my part).

David Boyes

Sine Nomine Associates

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Edward M. Martin
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:31 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM paging problem

Hello David and everyone else,

        Thanks for all the info.

The root is that everytime I IPL any CUU I am getting the

HCPCLS174E Paging I/O error; IPL failed.

IPL 190 fails but IPL CMS works ok

All our current systems are VSE systems and they IPL 740.

My VSE261 tech machine is failing when IPLing from 740.

Any IPL of the tape drives are failing (Standalone tapes)

        I am attempting to understand what happened to the paging areas that would cause this problem.

I do not have overlaps, the volumes (430RES and 430W03) have not been formatted for a long time.

        Two weeks ago, everything was working fine.

        I am getting a new page disk formatted and I intend to IPL on Thursday at 11:00 pm.

        I am worried that there is something else that I am missing.

Ed Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
330-588-4723
[EMAIL PROTECTED]