Has anyone been able to interface VM:Tape to permit sharing tapes with
z/OS -- specifically using the z/OS "IBM DFSMSrmm" database (a VSAM file)?
RMM has a field labeled "RVVMUSE", which is apparently used by
 tapes reserved for "VM use", but I have not found anything that indicates
what might use that field.  Perhaps IBM's new "IBM Tape Manager" product
uses that field?

CA has repeatedly and steadfastly rejected development of any interface
between VM:Tape and IBM DFSMSrmm.  Our use of CA-1 has dropped to a few
hundred tapes shared between z/OS and z/VM, while at the same time our
z/OS DFSMSrmm library is reportedly grown to become the largest in the
world.  I keep getting significant and unrelenting pressure to remove CA-1
for tape sharing between z/VM and z/OS.  Our z/OS CA-1 version (not in my
area of responsibility) is somewhere around 11 releases behind the current
release, and certainly unsupported.  A CA-1 upgrade is reported to be a
significant effort.

It would be easy to say "just install the IBM Tape Manager product", but
we're so deeply involved with VM:Tape that the conversion would not likely
be feasible (consider the VM:Backup, VM:Archiver, and VM:Secure
interfaces, all the home-grown EXECs that issue VMTAPE commands and
process the results,etc.).  Still, it would be interesting, and I'll
research that more at SHARE in Baltimore in a few weeks.

So the requirement keeps coming down to writing our own interface between
VM:Tape and DFSMSrmm - not a trivial effort.  But if someone has already
done it, or gotten part way down the slope, perhaps we could share ideas.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not those of my employer.

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message,
including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of
the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.