On Wednesday, 07/26/2006 at 01:48 EST, "Jeff Gribbin, EDS"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now, IIRC, the way that CP, "loads" the IPL simulator is by first paging
> out a guest page (page 1?) and then messing with the guest's page tables
> to point the guest page at the IPL simulator which sits inside the CP
> nucleus (it's been several years - can anybody help out here?) and then
> dispatching the guest, which triggers a pagein. This, "feels" like the
> only paging operation that's going to be common the ALL IPL VDEV
commands.
> Comment?

This is what I said a few days ago.  CP actually copies the simulator
(resident in CP) into the guest memory after paging out the selected
pages.  HCPCLS174E is issued because CP can't get a hold of the user's
pages (smelling like a programming error) or there was a paging I/O error.
 Errors in the IPL simulator itself are HCPVMIxxxE errors.  You can also
get HCPCLS174E when the IPL is complete, but there is a problem paging the
original guest pages back in.

How big is the virtual machine?  Does the same problem occur if the
virtual machine is made smaller (looking for that programming error)?  [I
am a bit nervous because Ed said there are no ERP (error recovery
procedure) messages on the operator's console when it happens, which is
what you usually get with a CP-generated I/O error.]

If a fresh paging volume doesn't solve the problem (the simplest and
easiest way to try to fix it), then the next step is to call the Support
Center.  This is why you pay for support.  :-)  Or, what the heck, call
them first in case there is a known problem.