> We have a Shark, and we've been getting HCPA2F2234E LINK FAILURE
> messages with increasing frequency.  The messages point to the Shark
> by model and serial number.  The message text says:
>
>       "A link-maintenance information record has been written to
> LOGREC in response to the reporting of a serial incident."
>
> VM EREP shows recoverable machine check records corresponding in
> date/time to these messages.
> [snip]
> Anyone have any idea what these messages are prompted by and what
> they're trying to tell us?

Have someone experienced with the use of an optical reflectometer check
the connectors on the cables. A loose or imperfectly formed joint on a
fiber jumper will cause symptoms like this.

Another possibility is a marginal laser diode in one of the adapters. If
the diode output waveform is skewed beyond a certain threshold, you'll
get a recoverable machine check like this because redriving the I/O hits
in a randomly different part of the waver and everything works that
time.

In either case, you need optical diagnostics equipment to find this one.
What exactly is the EREP error coding and the log record dump?

-- db