We also do share some volumes amongst all our VM systems.  On thses shared
packs, we do define all minidisks on all VM systems and have an exec that
nightly checks that all MDISKs on those voumes are in fact identical.
To protect ourselves from accidents, we enabled XLINK (part of VM's CSE
functions). XLINK will avoid that two VM systems have concurrent
conflicting links.  Just like that a simple "LINK xxx vdev vdev M" can
fail with a message "xxx vdev not linked, R/W by uid", CP can then respond
 "xxx vdev not linked, R/W by VMxyz"
What you need to to is define a table with all your VM systems in SYSTEM
CONFIG, include the volsers in some XLINK other statement in SYSTEM
CONFIG, issue some XLINK FORMAT command to format  an area on the shared
volumes, protect this area by some $xxx$ minidisk so that you do not
accidentally define a user mdisk on top of it.

The only drawback is that you must IPL to make it active; there are no CP
commands to dynamically define/change the SYSTEM CONFIG statements.

Last but not least: define the volumes as SHARED (on RDEVICE in SYSTEM
CONFIG, or with CP SET SHARED ON), so CP will turn off MDC for those
volumes.

Kris,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

"Dusha, Cecelia Ms. WHS/ITMD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
2006-08-03 10:35
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Shared Volumes

Hello,

I would like to share a volume on multiple zVM systems.  Each system would
have different area on the volume they could write to, the other areas
would be read only.  Each system needs to be able to write to this volume
at the same time.  Is this do-able?  If so, how is this done?

Please advice.

Thank you.

Cecelia Dusha