At 06:50 AM 8/7/2006, Jim Bohnsack wrote:
As a "junior assistant probationery trainee IBM systems engineer" in a Chicago branch office, I worked on a project that needed a lot of data center machine time. I ran a benchmark for a custom at the IBM Des Plaines data center and used a 360/40 that had an unusual toggle switch on the front panel with the labeling on the switch being "virtual"/"real". It was a few years before I understood what that meant. At that time, also, the downtown Chicago IBM data center had a 360/67 which I always used in 360/65 mode.
Jim

That 360/40, serial number 2040-x0002, made two outstanding contributions to IBM. After serving as the first 360 testbed for CP (CP/40), it went on to be the primary development machine for CICS!

Bob Shair
Open Systems Consulting
Champaign, Illinois