At 07:16 AM 8/7/2006, you wrote:
If I had known about that (CICS development), maybe I would have snipped a wire or two. At that time, I was installing (separate project) a S/360/40 at different IBM Chicgo customer running FASTER, which was another, comparable online system that, I believe, was developed initially by the Kansas City police dept. It lost out to CICS, which I think was developed originally by a utility company.
Jim

Yes, CICS was a co-development with the Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCo). I vaguely remember FASTER from ~1968. Yet another one around this time was DUCS (the Display Unit Control System) which, IIRC, ran on DOS rather than on big OS like CICS.

Bob Shair
Open Systems Consulting
Champaign, Illinois