On Thursday, 08/10/2006 at 10:49 ZE2, Colin Allinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We use RACF as our ESM and I wondered if there was any API interface
that could
> be called by user code to check validity of an access to a resource (I
am not
> aware of such a beast).

Yes.  You will have to write an assembler (sorry) program to call the
RACROUTE macro.  I've been wanting to package up basic RACROUTE into a CSL
routine, but haven't had the time.  (sigh)

> btw: because the tapes are catalogued on VM we also have a problem
securing
> them on MVS. RACF dataset protection may be the solution to this as well
as we
> have a shared RACF database (if we can find a way to interface to RACF
for this
> on VM).

Shared RACF database with MVS is only possible if the MVS system is not in
a sysplex.  GRS on the MVS system must be configured to perform
RESERVE/RELEASE on the volume in response to an ENQ/DEQ.  Some tape
managers (e.g. IBM Tape Manager for z/VM) can talk to DFSMSrmm on z/OS if
you want to use the z/OS tape catalog.  I would guess that VM:Tape has an
equivalent function.  (JR?)