ref:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#14 SEQUENCE NUMBERS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#19 Source maintenance was Re:
SEQUENCE NUMBERS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#21 Source maintenance was Re:
SEQUENCE NUMBERS

for some additional drift, old history about requiring source for
application distribution on the internal network
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

               ***** Extract from VM Newsletter 5 *****

                 V M  Newsletter Issue 5 ... May 1977

Welcome to the fifth issue of the newsletter.

                          E D I T O R I A L

I recently received a contribution for the newsletter which, in
addition to the usual description, mentioned that no source code for
the item described would be made available.  I have withheld its
publication for the time being.  I feel that, in the absence of a very
good reason to the contrary, contributors should always make the
source for their programs available to the requesters.  Aside from
the fact that in many cases it may be essential for the proper
installation of a program to have the source, it seems to me a matter
of courtesy that it should be provided.  I would like to establish a
policy for the newsletter regarding this question, but I solicit your
opinion to help me do so.

               ***** Extract from VM Newsletter 6 *****

                V M  Newsletter Issue 6 ... June 1977

Welcome to the sixth issue of the newsletter.

The response to the first editorial in the last issue is quite
satisfying.  Most of you feel that source should, in general, be made
available.  But a number of readers pointed out some other
considerations, most of which seem to me to be valid.  Among them:

        * Sometimes the source is really not available; it seems
unreasonable to lose what might be an otherwise valuable contribution
and of use to someone in spite of the lack of source.

        * Sometimes the source is really part of, or related to, some
product being developed and the source can't be made available until
the corresponding product is announced or shipped.  This was the
situation with the contribution which prompted the editorial.

        * When the program is under continuing development, it is a
considerable burden to the developer to provide a complete set of
source.  In this situation, some people felt, at least idle requests
for the source code should be discouraged.  Furthermore, there appears
to be a conflict between letting many early versions of the program
propagate widely, and getting a number of early "guinea-pig" users.

        * When the contribution is the installation of some OS-based
processor on CMS, it is inappropriate to distribute the source of the
entire processor.  In these cases, however, the source for any
interface and installation programs should be provided.

        * There are a few unusual cases in which the integrity of a
lot of data depends on the integrity of programs which access or
maintain it.  A specific example of this is a file system which was
developed at Yorktown.  In such cases, a small bug could be introduced
by someone casually changing the program, and not have its effects
realized until long afterwards.  In cases like this, perhaps the
burden is on the requester to demonstrate that providing the source
will not lead to a bad situation.

The policy I have decided to implement for the newsletter is to
publish any contribution, but to require that the contributor state
explicitly that the source is not available, and that he explain why
this is the case.