Subject: GENDMOD module

Could I ask you to get an assembly listing of the GENMOD module so I can
study it to determine what changes I have to make to VS APL.  If we make
this change, it could have a tremendous impact on the HONE system, above
what their SEQUOIA system is giving them.  There are several very large
APL applications on there .... particularly the configurators.  If
users are sharing that code as well, we could get some big savings ...
not to mention the time savings in just loading the workspaces.

.... snip ...

shared variables was eventually created as an alternative paradigm (to
that originally implemented in cms\apl) for accessing system api/functions.

apl\cms and apl\sv eventaully evolved into vs apl.

the (cms) apl interpreter had been structured into code that could be
shared across all the virtual address spaces. however, HONE apl
operations had another couple hundred kbytes of commonly used apl
applications that appeared in nearly all workspaces
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

i had originally done paged mapped filesystem for cms in the early 70s
along with a mechanism that allowed loading of objects from cms paged
mapped filesystem as memory objects shared across multiple virtual
address spaces.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#mmap

one of the internal datacenters this was installed on was at HONE. HONE
used it to create a "shared" executable image of the APL interpretor
(under cms). I had modified the standard CMS executable creation command
(GENMOD) and executable load command (LOADMOD) to add support for the
shared executable object option.

A small subset of the cp & cms memory mapped feature/function was
released in vm/370 release 3 called DCSS.

However, the full function was in use at a number of internal
datacenters, like HONE.

The issue in this particular email ... was that there were several large
APL applications (like the HONE mega-application mentioned in the
was "interpreted" by the APL interpreter (and executable in the 370
sense). The idea here was to modify the APL workspace loader to play
some of the same games that I had done in CMS GENMOD/LOADMOD ... so that
static APL workspace applications could be loaded as shared memory
objects (allowing a single common image to be used across all virtual
address spaces). This could significantly cut both the aggregate HONE
application real-storage requirements ... as well as I/Os involved in
retrieving unique copies off disk for every HONE user.