On Thursday, 08/17/2006 at 09:39 EST, Brian Nielsen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >It certainly affects the size of the HSA *IF* that particular IOCDS is
> >marked to allow dynamic updates.  If you don't specify MAXDEV=, it
> >defaults to the maximum number of devices allowed by the processor.
That
> >means your HSA will be as large as it can possibly be.
>
> Does that mean that for a dynamic IOCDS I can change the size of the HSA
> by means of the MAXDEV parameter?  For example, if I have only have 4K
> devices can I lower MAXDEV from 63K to 20K and thus recover some memory
> from HSA and still leave lots of room for dynamic I/O changes?

>From my understanding of how the IOCDS and the HSA interact, yes.  Also
remember that a "device" isn't a physical thing, it's a logical construct
in the IOCDS.  A single physical device (e.g. dasd volume) that is visible
in 6 LPARs uses 6 devices in the IOCDS.  Add in spanned channels and
logical channel subsystems for more fun and games.

There is an HSA size estimator on ResourceLink.  Look under "Tools".