On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:27:50 -0400, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

wrote:

>On Thursday, 08/17/2006 at 09:39 EST, Brian Nielsen
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >It certainly affects the size of the HSA *IF* that particular IOCDS i
>> >marked to allow dynamic updates.  If you don't specify MAXDEV=, it
>> >defaults to the maximum number of devices allowed by the processor.
>That
>> >means your HSA will be as large as it can possibly be.
>>
>> Does that mean that for a dynamic IOCDS I can change the size of the H
SA
>> by means of the MAXDEV parameter?  For example, if I have only have 4K

>> devices can I lower MAXDEV from 63K to 20K and thus recover some memor
>> from HSA and still leave lots of room for dynamic I/O changes?
>
>From my understanding of how the IOCDS and the HSA interact, yes.

Thanks, that's been my understanding as well.

>There is an HSA size estimator on ResourceLink.  Look under "Tools".

I've looked at the HSA estimation tool.  The reported change in estimated

HSA size is very small - going from 63K devices down to as low as 6K
devices made only a 64M difference in HSA size.  Dropping of the number o
LPARs from 6 to 1 made only another 64M difference.  I would have expecte
a larger change.  C'est la vie.

Brian Nielsen