This is posted to both VM and VSE listservs.

We have a production 7060 with three FEA cards, and we are currently configuring a second 7060, which also has three FEA cards, to act as a DR machine. We have two IP stacks in VM and one in VSE. I've not yet had an opportunity to test the VSE connection - at this point I'm working just with the two VM connections - but the question I'm asking is hardware related (I believe), and so either VSE or VM users familiar with the 7060 FEA cards may be able to answer it.

I don't understand where the "link_number" parameter of the LINK statement is assigned. According to the TCP/IP Planning and Customization Manual, in the section for LCS devices, the link_number is "the relative Ethernet adapter number within the LCS. This number is assigned by the Interconnect Controller Program (ICP)." I assume the ICP is something that runs within OS/2. Can anyone direct me to it? I've done configuration work within the EMIO selection in the Support Element and also within MPTS, but I don't recall seeing any place where these numbers (which are within the range of 1 to 3) are assigned.

By trial and error I've got the two VM IP stacks to run, and although the configuration of the FEA cards in MPTS and in EMIO appear to be the same between the two 7060's, the link_numbers that the two machines are using for the same FEA cards are different. I'm asking this question not because I can't get the IP stacks to run, but because I want to understand where the number is assigned.

Thanks!

    - Tom.

Tom Cluster
County of Sonoma
Santa Rosa, CA
(707) 565-3384 (Tuesdays and Wednesdays only)