We are looking at installing a 3484 library and VTS to replace a bunch
of conventional 3490's and 3590's. My understanding is that the VTS
tapes and tape drives cannot be used by anything except the VTS. A set
of FICON cables connects to the VTS controller to support communications
with the virtual 3490E devices hosted by the VTS. Having said this, it
is also possible to add an second, standard tape controller, with its
own FICON channels, and additional tape drives in the library portion of
the solution. The second controller and its drives could then be used
like normal tape drives. The robotics are capable of serving both the
VTS drives and the "normal" drives, but the operating system sees them
as two different sets of entities.

Tom Rae
Senior Director, Technical Services
Western Canada
Loblaw Companies Limited
Information Systems Division

Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary
and/or legally privileged information and is intended only for the
individual or entity named in the e-mail address. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or reliance upon the contents of this e-mail not
authorized by the sender is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail transmission in error, please immediately reply to the
sender, so that proper delivery of the e-mail can be effected, and then
please delete the message from your Inbox.