We do this. But not with a 3494. We have a 3584. A fraken-monster! It is
truly "bleeding edge" and we have the scars to prove it. In our shop,
this thing has four "parts". There is a VTS for the z/OS system, FICON
connected. There is a VTL (Virtual Tape Library) for the distributed
systems, Fibre Channel connected. There is an ATL containing 3592J
drives. The ATL itself is subdivided. Some of the 3592J drives are FC
connected to the VTS for its use as backstore devices. Some of the 3592J
drives are FC connected to the SAN fabric for the distributed systems,
which are running CA's BrightStor. The last of the 3592J drives are ???
connected to a J70 controller which is FICON connected our z/OS system
for off-site backups. The VTS and the VTL talk to the ATL over an
internal ethernet/IP network, mainly to tell the ATL to mount and
dismount tapes (I think). The VTS and ATL talk to z/OS OAM (a started
task) via the FICON connection. OAM uses some
undocumented-to-us-normal-people channel control program functions to
talk to the Library Manager to request mount/dismount. The distributed
systems talk to the same Library Manager via Ethernet/IP.

I think the same can be done using the older 3494.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.