From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rob van der Heij
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:33 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM directory entry for shared DASD

On 9/6/06, Wakser, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>         Please settle an argument: if a DASD volume is to be shared in

> WRITE mode between two VSE systems running under VM, should the MDISK
> statement specify MWV or MW?

Why settle... can we not just disagree? ;-)

If you have multiple systems on the same z/VM, you need MWV to make sure
that CP will intercept reserve / release and emulate it. You could not
have all virtual machines do real reserve release because the hardware
would not be able to distinguish between virtual machines (only sees
which LPAR does it).
When the virtual machines are on different LPARs (or machines) you need
the disk to start at cylinder 0 to ensure that CP will indeed pass the
reserve/release to the real device (and I am not sure whether you have
to define it as SHARED in the configuration file, but you prolly want to
disable MDC anyway).
When you more than one VSE in the z/VM LPAR and another one outside the
LPAR (native or under z/VM, same machine or other machine) you need MWV
*and* start at cyl 0 to make sure that CP will keep the guests apart,
and will issue the real reserve/release that comes from that.

Rob

--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc