In answer to your question on why MWV...

Back in the late '80s, I think it may have been with VSE/SP 4, IBM
started sending out the PSRs with the recommendation of MWV for all VSE
minidisks.  I guess that it was more of a safety kind of thing.  That
is, with MWV on all minidisks, you can't accidently destroy a disk by
writting on it from another VSE on the same VM image.  (Of course, they
also had SHR on all ADD statements recommended, also)

I was at two different sites, in the early '90s, that were upgrading to
a new box.  Single VSE image under VM.  And had a lock file defined.
All packs MWV and SHR on the ADD statement.  The lock file (real disk
not vdisk), was getting millions of I/O to it every day.

And each site said:  "I don't know....IBM said...."

To some extent, I could see the logic.  If you have a single VSE system
under VM, and someone, brought up a second VSE system and didn't know
the proper way to share VSE packs, this kind of practice could keep you
from shooting yourself in the foot.

I seem to recall that a Redbook came out later on how to share VSE
disks, under a single VM image.  You might want to do a search for it.

I normally share, 1 volume across VSE systems for sequential disk and 1
volume across VSE systems with it's own VSAM catalog.  When I check the
LOCK01 pack for total I/O counts (using Vollie), I see that day to day,
I get very little change in total I/Os to the lock file.  Just the way I
like it <G>.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Tom Duerbusch