I don't think you'd want to issue real R/R "whenever the subject minidisk begins on real cylinder zero." I say this because VM systems which host VSE typically have *many* mdisks which begin with real cylinder 0. Do we really want real reserve/release to occur for such volumes, especially when you consider that VSE has implemented its own locking mechanism (the lock file)?

In VSE literature from the '80's, it was said that one should use MWV only for the lock file itself. Nowadays VM literature says to use MWV for all shared VSE minidisks. See the following excerpt, quoted in a posting in the vse listserv, from the z/VM 5.2 Migration Guide:

4.3.1 Reserve/Release Considerations for VSE

z/VM supports virtual reserve/release for minidisks that are not a full pack. Therefore, the cross-system communication (also called the "lock file") volume does not have to be defined as a full pack.

MDISK statements for all DASD you want to mount to VSE as shared (in other words, you want to use the S operand of the IPL ADD statement) must include the V suffix on the link mode. That is, the link mode must be MWV. If this is not done, VSE issues MSG 0I23I for the minidisks that do not have link mode MWV on their MDISK statements.