From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU]On
Behalf Of Rich Greenberg
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 2:50 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Saving a backup copy of NSSs with no tape drive

On: Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:48:33AM -0500,Huegel, Thomas Wrote:

} For what it's worth I am still doing flips at not having to deal with DMKSYS
} assemblies and IPL's for the saved segments. Now I am thinking 'Why keep
} them in spool space?' Wouldn't a more logical approach be to save the
} segments on a CP minidisk i.e. MAINT's CF1?
} That would solve a lot of backup/restore/format problems.

But then wouldn't you be back to HCPSYS?  Unless you just have a section
of a CP-Owned volume allocated to say DCSS and you do DEFSEG and
SAVESEGS into there.  But wouldn't that be spool by another name?

What I would like is more control over the classes, so you could have
several copies of a DCSS in the spool and the one you make class A is
the active one and other classes are there as backups, and class P works
as present. Perhaps a NEWCLS option on SAVESEG with the default being P.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed VSE-List messages and set aside VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com