Hi Robert: For the 2nd level userid on 1st level define the virtual nic devices, and couple to the vswitch as per normal. On the 2nd level system these will appear as OSA devices, attach to 3rd level TCPIP through ATTACH or DEDICATE. Configure in TCPIP as QDIOETHERNET and OSD. Forgot about the ipwizard until Chuckie appears. The vswitch appears at the 1st level; 2nd level thinks it is a real osa. Works great.
David
Nix, Robert P. wrote:

I'm bringing up a zVM 5.2 system second level, and have gotten to the point that I want to configure Vswitch and TCPIP. I put a NICDEF into the virtual machine and granted it access at the first level, then brought it up and tried the IPWIZARD script, defining it as a QDIO interface, but it can't find any of the IP addresses I gave it. I then tried defining a Vswitch in the second level machine, and haven't had much luck there either. I thought before I went too much further, I'd see if anyone here had any suggestions.

What would be the best, most likely working, method of connecting a second level zVM system to the outside world, in such a way as to emulate its ultimate environment as closely as possible?

Also: Are DTCVSW1 and DTCVSW2 the Vswitch controllers? I haven't seen them mentioned in any of the documentation yet, but saw them come up on the first full IPL. (I almost said "boot"... I so fear that I'm becoming a Linux person...)

--
 .~.    Robert P. Nix           Mayo Foundation
 /V\    RO-OC-1-13              200 First Street SW